And we are soooo back! Last time, we featured "Justin Amit" in #13Questions. Now, it's Joemark "Ludy" Narsico's time in the spotlight, fresh from Japan (Japan, sagot sa kahirapan). He is a Marine Science grad student majoring in Marine Biotechnology. He's been (and he will always be) a part of the Seaweed Lab under Dr. Coke Montaño. He will defend his master's thesis, whichhas something to do with a marine bacterium and a biological compound. Interested yet? Watch him live as he slays this presentation on Friday (May 6, 2016). Details are here.
We want to thank Joemark for giving some of his precious time to answer this paandar and sharing his thoughts with us. Now, enjoy reading!
1. So you are defending your thesis, how are you preparing for the big day? Any ritual?
I am now rehearsing what to say and checking my presentation for the defense. I usually review the slides that I will be presenting and study for possible questions that will be asked by the audience during the presentation
2. Five words to describe your "thesis life."
Fun, Busy, Productive, depressing, rewarding
3. In one sentence, describe your study. Simple terms, please.
I isolated a marine bacteria capable of producing alginate lyase that may help in creating functional oligo-alginates from the complex brown macroalgal alginate.
4. What is interesting about your study?
From environmental samples, we are able to derive enzymes necessary to create novel products that may have potential applications in different industries. CHAAAAR!
[A/N: Uy! baka pwedeng pampaganda! ipadala na yan sa lab ni JPC (si marth Joey P Cabasan po): Marine Natural Beauty Products. XD]
5. What would be the perfect song for your thesis?
Work (Explicit) by Rihanna
6. Do you have a “motto” or an adage in mind during the whole time you did your study?
I need to move on!
[A/N: "Gustung-gusto na mag move on oh. Are you sawa na to me? Let's just tigil this" - PH research]
7. What was the most memorable moment that happened while you were doing your study/experiment?
When I was optimizing the semi purification experiments of my enzyme, I was using DEAE column chromatography pero masyadong viscous ang sample ko. I gave up on it after more than a week of preparing the samples. I gave up that night and I went home heartbroken. Then the next morning, I approached my Japanese supervisor, and explained that my experiments failed. He looked at me and just smiled. Then he literally salvaged my samples in the column.
[A/N: Buti pa samples na ginive-up-an, kayang isalvage. ajuju]
8. When things don’t go your way, what do you do?
I talk to my isolate and ask them to please cooperate and produce highly concentrated enzymes.
[A/N: sometimes, they just need a pep talk or two]
9. Did you ever cry because of your thesis? How many times did you cry while you're conducting your thesis experiment and where and what and who?
Almost. This was during the early stage of my thesis. I need to isolate a bacteria but I haven’t isolated any for TWO months!
10. Love life or Lab life? Showbiz answer please.
Lab life because my love will understand that I am focusing on my lab life for now. This is for our future.
[A/N: Ah wow. grabi siya ooooh! Mabuhay ka!]
11. Can you give a few tips on how to DO a master's thesis? Showbiz answer please.
Never give up. Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach joined Bb Pilipinas three times. I have been doing my thesis for three years! She did it. I did it. Why can’t you do it?
[A/N: Award! tapos may Dr. Mike pa na bonus? shalap. ]
12. What’s next?
Permanent Head Damage
[a/n: akala ko kung ano na. PhD pala yun mga beh. ang slow ko. Way to go, Joemark!]
13. So sasablay? Hello "Graduation 2016"?
YES, OF COURSE!
[A/N: cue: UP naming mahal...]
Good luck Joemark!
We hoped you enjoyed the paandar episode 2 of #13Questions.
Magdedefend ka ba? May istorya ka ba? Share mo na 'yan sa amin!
Find here the latest news and activities of the lab! Get to know the MMEEL RAs as we share funny lab stories, helpful work-related tips, and interesting features about the RA life.